Thursday, August 21, 2008

Wiggle It Just a little bit.



In times of my aneurism paranoia attack, I hear only drum rolls and recall where this sound coming from. A glimpse on DailyGalaxy’s Does Music Have a More Powerful Effect on Memory than Images, Words, or Smells?, reminds me to take a deep breath and utter the unforgettable 'Oh yes, it’s coming from my eardrum'.

Now I’m thinking if my frequent mild absentmindedness and forgetfulness is due to my family's medical history(my grandmother and great grand mother in my mother's side died of aneurism, now my mom shows some sign) or my lack of rhythm , not the calendar one(I oftentimes bump my self into something because of miscalculation and lack of coordination).

And I take Petr Janata’s advise to understand how music can affect memory as he explained research known as music-evoked autobiographical memories (MEAMs)

"This region in the front of the brain where we mapped musical activity is important for a number of functions, like assimilating information that is important to one's self, or mediating interactions between emotional and non-emotional information. Our results provide a stronger foundation for explaining the link between music, emotion and the brain."

Power shift is also a simple way to enhance one’s memory. Dr Andrew Parker, of Manchester Metropolitan University, explains how a simple shift of glance from left to right for 30seconds can boost memory and help people to distinguish something real or something we only imagined or thought about.

This has been a practice in hypnosis where a clock is wiggled from left to right to remember and decode dream. Now I guess the clock is used to limit the rhythm of wiggling . This rhythm helps the person to relax and recall.

Memory, in my case, sometimes is lost if I want to bury deep down into my brain the convoluted sense of reality based on instinct to protect my innocence and 'world' peace. Therefore wiggle it just a little bit. Let us not join the recurrent march from Makati Ave to Edsa Shrine because we, as a nation, always forget and never learn.

Anyways, after what has been said and done, isn’t it ironic that despite of being a nation of music lover we never learn and remember. Proof: Wait for the next prayer rally to oust the incumbent, marching to the tune of same old stupid love song.

What was that again?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...